Sunday, February 8, 2015

The Middle Half

Road Race Name: The Middle Half


Location: Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Distance: 13.1 Miles
Price: $65

Race Rating: 9/10

Course Review:
This race is a flat and fast course in the geographic center of Tennessee that occurs in mid October. In Tennessee, you never know what kind of weather you will find in October. The first year I ran this race, it was very warm and humid. The second year was extremely cold and almost had to be cancelled due to extreme fog. I have participated in this race for 2 years and enjoyed the experience. The race begins and ends at Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro, Tennessee and continues around the historic city in a 13.1 mile loop.


Overall Course Rating: 9/10

Race Atmosphere Review:
he race has a participant limit of 3,250 and usually sells out quickly. The time limit imposed on the race is mile 6 must be reached in 90 minutes. The website claims that if the deadline is not reached, the participant will not be able to finish the race. This could be difficult for slow runners or walkers, but I have been able to meet the deadline personally. As a slower runner, I have been at the back of the pack both years but was not told that I could not finish. The race has water stations/gatorade available at each mile on the course and a stop with fruit and power bars after mile 7. Due to the number of water stations, I haven’t felt the need to keep a hydration belt during this race. It is a fun race with a hometown feel. Lots of cheer teams are seen along the course to encourage the runners.
The only down side I have found is that being a slower runner, the course time limit noted on their website can be stressful. Runners are told not to go out too fast in races, but with the deadline walkers and runners sometimes do just that. The fear of being told they cannot finish the race is stressful. The two years I have participated in this race, I finished and received my medal. I cannot imagine training for a half marathon and being told you cannot finish. I would suggest increasing the time limit for the race so walkers and slower runners can enjoy the experience and not worry about finishing.

Overall Race Atmosphere Rating: 9/10

Post Race Food and Drink Review:
The food and drink tents located at the finish line offer many options such as muffins, fruit, yogurt, chocolate milk, Gatorade and water. I am glad that the food tents don’t start closing too early. (Slow runner issue!) The snacks may have had less options due to my finish time, but they were available.


Overall Post Race Food and Drink Rating: 9/10

Overall, this is a great race that is well organized. I would recommend this race to anyone especially beginners since it is flat.


Photos:
2014

2013

Written By Gina Lowe Lennon!


No comments:

Post a Comment